Thursday, November 10, 2011

Danny Brewer: Bikes & Bands


Danny Brewer, 28, of Kirkwood, does more than the average “starving artist.” Not only does Brewer write his own music and play acoustic guitar, but he also fixes up bikes – a project he calls “Brewer’s Bikes.”


A few years ago, Brewer sold his car and had to bike everywhere he went. Thus began his interest in bikes.
“I loved the feeling of biking and getting somewhere by the sweat of my brow.


“Brewer’s Bikes’ happened this year after I couldn't find work all winter," he said. "I decided to create a job for myself by taking old, rusty, neglected bikes and rebuilding them, adding some new components and tires and making a small profit – and it just happened to make a big splash in the city this year.”
Courtesy of brewersbikes.tumblr.com


Brewer said that he buys most of his bikes from Craigslist, but he also finds them in the trash and even receives bikes as donations from his friends.


“I work alone most often,” said Brewer. “I like it that way. It’s peaceful.”


Brewer says that most customers – the typical broke college student – learn about the bikes through his own friends.


“Brewer’s Bikes” operates out of “Kirkwood Re-Cycle,” where Brewer shares the passion for recycling with a few of his friends.


Atop the “Brewer’s Bikes” Tumblr page reads an original Brewer quote: “Spaciousness of heart is better than 1,000 luxuries.”


“I believe bikes are a great way to find simplicity and peace,” explained Brewer. “When I exercise and ride, I find that my mind and body kind of sync up, and I find deep contentment.


“I think that if more folks biked as a form of commuting, we would be healthier and happier people.”
courtesy of brewersbikes.tumblr.com
Brewer has built and sold about 50 bikes this year.


“To think I’ve helped 50 folks find an affordable alternative to the normal gas-powered commute is very satisfying.”


His most recent project was a 7-speed bike with an electric blue Peugeot mixte frame, French-made and light.


Brewer says that he hopes to continue building bikes next year and plans to dedicate more time to songwriting this winter.


Brewer began his musical career after he graduated high school and has played in several bands including church bands, and he has comfortably landed into acoustic songwriting.


“I began playing music when I was about 13 when my father would sit around after work, strumming the guitar someone gave him,” recalls Brewer. “I fell in love with the emotions in the chords and the melodies he could create with a few simple strums. I was drawn to music for its mystical and emotional power.”


Brewer says that he is inspired by his family, faith, and other artists.
Danny Brewer and Molly Parden in 2010

Brewer has performed all over the country, including shows in Seattle, Portland, Dallas, New York, Chicago, Nashville, and Savannah, among many others.


In Atlanta, Brewer has played at Eddie’s Attic, Vinyl, Smith’s Olde Bar, WonderRoot, among other “under the radar” venues.


And he hasn’t only played in venues.


“I’ve played on top of my van,” said Brewer. He said that he has also almost gotten arrested for “busking,” or street performing.


“I’ve been playing with Molly Parden a ton this year,” said Brewer. They plan to put more videos up on Youtube soon.


“I was recently contacted by an investor who is going to be funding some recording time,” said Brewer. “He ran across some of my Youtube videos and emailed me.”


Brewer recently performed at “Songs for Supper,” a dinner party adorned with local songwriters, at the Church of the Apostles on Northside Parkway in Atlanta on Oct. 29. He played alongside Molly Parden, Micah Dalton, Nathan Angelo, Jeremy Ezell, Emily Lynch, Jonathan Ray, Jonathan Rich, and Jason Harwell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment